Monday, May 17, 2010
Harvest Monday...and Leaving on a Jet Plane!
This will be my last garden post for about a week. We are leaving for our favorite place, New Orleans at 5AM tomorrow! We go there about two times a year. The food, music and people are the best! I will be posting some food, gardens, favorite musicians and more while we are away. I don't think that our garden/house/cat/little helper sitter will be up to the task of posting garden pictures for me while we are away.
Some of the Pak Choi was getting ready to bolt. So I harvested it...boy, it was good!
The harvest total was 1 lb. 7 oz.
This was our dinner on Wednesday evening, Spiced Chicken with Pak Choi over rice. The recipe is posted below. The dish may be a little spicey for some....but not for "The Hot Italian" and I! If you don't like dishes that are too spicey....just forget about the hot chilli pepper.
Spiced Chicken with Pak Choi over Rice
20 oz. Skinless boneless chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper
4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1/2 Large Onion, chopped or sliced
Small Red Chilli Pepper, finely diced
Pinch of Ground Tumeric
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 Pint of Tomatoes
12 oz. Pak Choi
1/2 Cup Cream
1. Cut the chicken breasts into large chunks and season with salt & pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet and quickly lightly brown the chicken. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. Reduce heat, stir in the onion, garlic and chilli. Fry until soft then add the spices and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and continue to fry for a minute or two.
3. Cut Pak Choi into strips, separating the stems from the leaves. Add the stems to the tomatoes, stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken pieces, cream and 1/4 - 1/3 Cup Water.
4. Return to a simmer, season to taste and cook on low for 5 minutes. Add the green leaves, return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Season to taste if needed and serve over rice.