Sunday, December 5, 2010

Brown Bag Apple Pie

This has got to be the BEST Apple Pie I have ever eaten! I know, everyone says that they have a recipe for "The Best Apple Pie". About 25 years ago, my ex-sister in-law baked this pie for Thanksgiving. I never really liked apple pie until I tasted this one.

It's not only great tasting...it is easy to make with a no-roll crust!

Crust
  • 1 1/2 Cups Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 2 tsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Milk
  • Mix well with fork and just pat into the pie pan
Filling
  • 6-8 Large Apples or 8-10 Small Apples (Granny Smith or another tart apple)
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 3 Tbsp Flour
  • Cinnamon to taste (about 1 tsp)
  • Mix well and place in crust
Topping
  • 1/2 Cup Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Butter
  • Mix together until crumbly using a fork or pastry cutter
  • Place on top of pie
Place pie in large brown paper grocery bag. Fold down the end. (I fold it under and staple it).

Don't allow bag to touch heating elements! Bag will not burn.

Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees F.

There it is...."The BEST Apple Pie"

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea you could bake inside a brown paper bag! I'll have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks incredibly delicious! Must try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pie looks great! What is the purpose of a paper bag? To keep the juices inside? I usually cover it with baking paper so it doesn't burn. I should try baking with paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful! Why am I also thinking of vanilla ice cream??? I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow , sounds easy and yummy. I have never tried an apple pie before. I want to bake one now.Could you please tell me whether i can cover pie with aluminum foil/parchment paper, i don't have a paper bag now. Thanks

    Nila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nila, I have only made this recipe in a brown paper bag. I don't see why you couldn't cover it with parchment paper. Let me know how you make out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MojVrt, I think that the bag helps it cook more evenly and keeps it from burning.

    Patricia, Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know why your thinking of vanilla ice cream...because it's best that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I gotta try it! Who doesn't love apple pie!? Very clever baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to try this, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious, but I'm nervous about the paper bag, my heating element is on the back of the oven wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mac, just make sure that the bag doesn't touch the element and it should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK...I bought the apples, made the pie, encased it in the brown paper bag, baked for one hour, opened the bag and it was perfect!!! thank you so much. Best part...no mess from an overflowing pie on the bottom of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patricia, I'm so happy that you tried the recipe and it worked out well for you. Thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!