Sunday, February 20, 2011
Community Garden Plots Update
It was nice enough today for me to go over to the plots and get some soil samples, more measurements and some pictures. Although it is not the perfect time to take soil samples, I really need an idea of what I'm dealing with over there.
So, I got my gear together and headed out.
I also labeled six canning jars and lids and gathered up a hammer, little garden spade, tape measure, paper towels, a sharpie and my camera.
I took soil samples from six different locations. I marked each location with a stake and put the soil in the corresponding labeled canning jar. It wasn't too difficult to get the soil. I only had to use the hammer a couple of times to get through a little bit of frozen ground on the top. It will take a few days before I have the soil samples ready and tests complete. I will post on that when they are finished.
After that was done I thought I would get some more pictures and show everyone what I have found.
This is our neighbor to the left. I like the way they have the rain barrels elevated to get some water pressure. The plot on the right is empty and over grown.
To the left of the current gate and about where we are going to locate our new gate is an area where they put down some concrete slabs. This is a perfect spot for these.
In the back of the plots there are these huge bushes. Originally I thought that they were all raspberry bushes....now I'm not so sure. These are very big with absolutely no thorns on them. What do you think....are they raspberries?? I did find some small raspberries to the right of these.
In one area toward the right side in the middle, I found some abandoned strawberry plants amongst the weeds.
On the left side amongst some weeds....abandoned onions.
All over the plots are plants like this, some are in the middle of tall weeds and some out there like this. It looks like someone planted these plots last spring and then let them go later in the season.
The right side of the plot, plants surrounded by cut off plastic containers. As you can see, the plot on the right has not been gardened for some time. There is a fence there though. I think that a new person rented it this year. We will find out.
This is the left side of the plots where the abandoned onions are located. You can see them if you blow up the picture. There is also a fence along this side.
Hopefully, after this little snow we are supposed to get the weather will stabilize and I can get over there and start cleaning up. For now I will get an idea of what is going on with the soil and start getting the other materials together that we need.