A couple of weeks ago I purchased some pears from a local grower. I got some Bartlett, some French sounding variety that I can't remember the name of and a bag of seconds.
I canned 4 pints of Bartletts since they were the first to ripen. I like to can mine in part juice and part extra-light syrup. I use some of the seconds to make the juice and add it to the syrup.
Then I made some Pear Vanilla Nutmeg Jam with a mix of pears that were ready. Boy, this stuff is good!
- 5 1/3 Cups Finely Chopped Pears
- 1 Pkg. Powdered Pectin or 6 Tbsp. Ball Real Fruit Pectin
- Grated Nutmeg
- Lemon Juice
- 5 Cups of Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Peel, core and finely chop pears. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. I put them in a bowl as I was peeling and chopping and stirred them to keep them from getting brown.
- Put prepared fruit in large pot
- Grind a little nutmeg onto the fruit
- Gradually stir in powdered pectin and bring to a full boil
- Add sugar, bring back to a boil that won't stir down. Boil for 1 min.
- Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla
- Ladle into sterlized jars, cap and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes