Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cold Frame Maintenance & Changes

I've been doing a little maintenance on the cold frames. Before we went on vacation I did a little work on the tops. First I put some sturdier braces on the corners. Some of the original ones were not real sturdy and the tops started to twist a bit. Then I put new plastic on the tops. The plastic that we had originally used was some that we had around. It was not the proper plastic to use for the tops.....but, it was free. This year we decided to buy the proper type of plastic for the tops. I did some searching and found greenhouse plastic that is supposed to last for 4 years. I purchased enough to re-cover them twice. It was about the same price with shipping as buying a roll of plastic at a Big Box Store. I can either use it to cover them again or to make a protective covering if needed in the garden.

I was not happy with the original supports to hold the tops open. They were short and could not hold the tops open very wide...so I made some new ones. I just took some stakes that I had around and drilled holes in them.  They seem to be working well. We shall see how I feel during the cold winter days.

I also put concrete blocks in the front to put the bottom of the stakes in. I think this will work much better and I will now be able to adjust the height of the opening to as small or as large as needed.

The rope lights that were in the cold frames last year were also re-installed. I wasn't going to put them in. However, they seemed to work well last year. So, I decided to put them back. One of you bloggers out there (I don't remember who) did a post with a link to an article about winter greenhouse growing. The article said that if you have 1-2 hours of additional light during the night, it will stimulate growth during the winter. After reading the article I decided to add one light per cold frame. They are connected to a timer and come on for 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I found everything that I needed to make the lights in the basement.

The only problem that I am having besides the hungry bugs is this.

The timer would not fit under the flap to the exterior water proof outlet cover. I removed it and replaced it with an indoor one. Now I have to find a cover that will protect the outlet and the timer from the rain. I'm sure I will think of something. If not "The Italian" always seems to come up with innovative ideas!

15 comments:

  1. It looks like your cold frames are ready for winter. I've been wanting to make a few cold frames. Good tips on using the rope lights. While shopping for holiday decorations this weekend I saw a lot of outdoor timers in the stores. These are rain tight and can be plugged into an outdoor outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel, I'll have "The Italian" pick one up tomorrow. I'm going to need the timer I have them hooked up to now when it's time to start the plants in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to have some cold frames too, I think they are a good idea..and up close to the house (that little hill seems to be getting longer). I didn't get around to doing it and now it's just a little too late in the season..maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some lights on timers in my greenhouse for the same reason - adds just enough extra light to keep those plants growing (albeit slowly). It does seem to make a difference.

    Good job on reworking the cold frames. It got down to 27 degrees here last night so my grow tunnels and greenhouse were put to the first test for the 2011/2012 winter season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny, Next year you should prepare a bed for vegetables right up against the house and put a cold frame on top during the winter. If you have the right sun exposure. Mine are about 15-20 feet from the back door. It's a quick run to open them or harvest when it's cold outside!

    Laura, We had a couple of nights in the 20's here too. The lowest temperature in the frames has been 39 degrees so far. Last winter they stayed between 10-20 degrees warmer then the lowest outside temp. at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the same sort of plastic we bought to replace some of the broken glass panes in our greenhouse - did it come with lots of usefull bubble wrap?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking clod frames. I wanted to do up a couple this year too...but I forgot to pass that message along to my builders..aka.father and husband...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually about now I wish I had a cold frame, but this year the ground hasn't even frozen yet. Usually it has by mid November. Tonight will only get down to 50F. Maybe winter will never come this year. The long range forecast only has one night below freezing predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, No this plastic did not come with a lot of bubble wrap. I'm sure is probably the same type though.

    Mrs.P, Well, I guess you better start planting that seed in their minds for next year. That way the cold frames may end up on their "to do" list!

    Daphne, It has been quite warm so far this fall. According to the Farmer's Almanac, we are supposed to have a mild winter. That would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had great luck with a similar setup a few years ago so I know we'll continue to see some good harvest photos from you! The only reason I stopped was the darn nor'easters here on the coast, the wind shredded my plastic, but those lights were awesome while I was using them, and I kept them on until midnight I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cool, Robin! I can't to see how it works out for your! I'm sure the light bulbs will keep the inside a degree or two warmer at night too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, Too bad you can't have a cold frame. Happy to hear that you had success with the lights.

    Thomas, Between the rope lights and the added light, I bet the cold frames will stay a bit warmer then last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd forgotten about your string of lights. Didn't you use them for the first time last year. Every little bit helps. I'd not thought of the lights drawing bugs. I'll have to keep an eye out. Is that carrots I see growing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jody, Last year was the first year for the cold frames and I used the rope lights. It does keep the soil warmer. Yes, there are a total of 4 carrots growing from my late planting....that's all that survived the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lights idea seems to make perfect sense but I also like it because it makes me smile imaginging the plants asking for "five more minutes" before lights out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!