I was not happy with the original supports to hold the tops open. They were short and could not hold the tops open very wide...so I made some new ones. I just took some stakes that I had around and drilled holes in them. They seem to be working well. We shall see how I feel during the cold winter days.
The rope lights that were in the cold frames last year were also re-installed. I wasn't going to put them in. However, they seemed to work well last year. So, I decided to put them back. One of you bloggers out there (I don't remember who) did a post with a link to an article about winter greenhouse growing. The article said that if you have 1-2 hours of additional light during the night, it will stimulate growth during the winter. After reading the article I decided to add one light per cold frame. They are connected to a timer and come on for 2 hours in the middle of the night.