Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard.........5/31/2012

Boy, this week has just flown by! I really thought today was Wednesday. I haven't posted or hardly read any blogs this past week. I think the heat really got to me.

This week I am going to post a recipe for Rose Petal Jelly. Although I did post this recipe last year,  I'm sure many of you did not see it. This jelly recipe was originally posted by Lynn at Wood Ridge Homestead in the Shenandoah Valley.

Tuesday afternoon, I noticed that the white roses were starting to go due to all of the rain. So, Sophia and I went out and picked  basket full of white roses and some red roses to make the jelly. My white roses are very fragrant, which is needed for a good jelly. My red roses, have hardly any fragrance. But they are added to give the jelly as nice color.


Rose Petal Jelly

  • 1 1/2 cups Rose petals, tightly packed
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar (preferably white sugar)
  • 3 oz packet liquid pectin
Gather fresh Rose petals to measure 1 1/2 cups tightly packed. Rinse petals and pat dry. Place petals in large pot and bruise petals so the scent and color can be extracted.


Add 2 1/4 cups of water to the petals in the pot and heat to boil. Turn down heat and simmer for several minutes, making sure the petals impart their color in the water. More than likely, the water may appear somewhat grey — the color will brighten with the addition of some lemon juice.




After the Rose petals have simmered for a few minutes, remove from heat. Using a fine sieve, strain the petals from the liquid.  Discard the petals and measure 1 3/4 cups of the distilled liquid for the jelly. Return the liquid to the pot, then add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and stir. The petal water will brighten significantly.

Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, then heat to boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add liquid pectin and return to hard boil. Then allow jelly to boil for 1 minute while stirring continually.
Remove from heat and ladle jelly into 4 sterilized half-pint jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Add sterilized lids and rings. Process in water bath for 5 minute


Yield:  about 4 half pints


After we started on the jelly, I noticed that we didn't have enough sugar to make the jelly. The liquid is now in the refrigerator.



Sophia and I will finish the jelly this afternoon when she gets home from school.

This is what it looks like when it is finished.


It's really pretty and tasty too!

What's been going in or out of your cupboard lately......anything good????

32 comments:

  1. Such pretty jelly. I really have to get my post up. So much preserving has gone on. I'll link it once I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne, Your jam looks wonderful too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, the color and flavor are really nice.

      Delete
  3. I'm struggling knowing what day it is this week too - I've asked my partner 3 times if its really Friday tomorrow....somehow i just can't seem to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been totally off since we came home from vacation. "The Italian" has been working really strange hours and days, then the holiday. Hopefully, I will get on track sooner or later.

      Delete
  4. Does it matter what type of roses? I have carnation roses and I never know if the petals are edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carnations and roses are edible. So, I am sure they would work out fine. The stronger the fragrance, the better the jelly. So, it says!

      Delete
  5. awesome! I have several roses just about starting to bloom so I can't wait to try it out! And your jelly came out in such lovely color too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a delightful jelly. It also spells like roses!

      Delete
  6. That jelly is lovely. I don't believe I've ever had rose jelly. We've got some roses growing for hips. The shrubs are still small, but we may have to make some jelly when they are bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely have to try this jelly once your roses are bigger. I'm sure you will like it!

      Delete
  7. I printed this one so that I can try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Becky. When I serve it, I like to ask the guests to try and guess what it is. It really smells like roses!

      Delete
  8. What is with us today? I just had a big argument with my husband....I insisted this was Wednesday! He says Memorial Day threw me off for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Granny. Maybe we can blame it on the moon, the holiday or CRS!

      Delete
  9. what a lovely looking jelly and something I have never tried before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to try something new! I made this last year for the first time. I guess I need to find something new and interesting for this year.

      Delete
  10. I love the picture of a pot filled with rose petals! I have climbing roses on the front porch, but I've never thought of doing anything with them besides the occasional bouquet. I might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to make something totally different and a bit unusual.

      Delete
  11. Robin,

    What a great idea! Now this jelly would make for a great Mother's Day gift. Hmmmm.....I wish my roses were producing flowers now. They already produced and are now gone :-(
    I will print this recipe out for furture use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, Too bad your roses are done for this year. This is really a nice jelly to make.

      Delete
  12. Looks like a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Holly, This jelly is keeper around here.

      Delete
  13. It does sound like a keeper! I'm sorta sorry now that I'm methodically digging up and re-homing most of my roses. Though I should have a few left for next spring/summer (I'm in Australia)to give this a try. How long will it keep, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, Some sources say you should use your canned jams and jellies within a year....and some sources say they are good for 2 years or more. I always check mine before using.

      Delete
  14. I have made rose jelly before and it really is a treat. I remember that post from last year and the jars of the finished product are really quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a treat and very pretty too!

      Delete
  15. I never heard of using rose petals for making jelly. What a great idea. My roses are organic, so they would be edible. I hope no one tries to make jelly out of roses that have been sprayed with fungicide or other pesticide. If I ever get enough petals at one time I'll have to give this a try. Hey, I have CRS too! I'm posting this on SUNDAY. That's how far behind I am this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been having a lot of CRS lately!! It must be the moon or my age??? No way! I totally forgot to mention that you should only use roses that haven't been sprayed. I think that my readers know better. Thanks for posting! Better late then never!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!