Sunday, April 10, 2011
The Plots....finally an update!!
I have to apologize for not posting a plot update in awhile. There has been progress there this past week. However, I either forgot the camera or got hit by a sudden wind and rain storm or maybe just forgot to take some pictures. Anyway here's what has been happening at the plots. Warning....lots of pictures!!
The bed on the left is the strawberry bed. It was planted last Sunday with 3 varieties of Strawberries. 26, Jewel June bearing, 26 Annapolis Early June bearing and 30 Ozark Beauty ever bearing. That's 82 plants total. I hope that is enought to keep "The Italian" and my "Little Garden Helper" happy!! Speaking of "The Italian", he framed out the bed today.
The bed in the back to the right is one of two Asparagus beds. That bed was planted yesterday with Jersey Supreme and framed out as well. The marked off area in the front of the picture is where we are going to have our little shelter. As you can see the soil there is nice and dark. When I was digging the asparagus bed I ran into some heavy clay. I removed the clay and used some of the good dirt. I also added lots of manure, composted manure and peat to the bed. As the asparagus grows I will continue to add compost to the dirt as I back fill it.
This is what some of the clay soil looked like that I dug out of the asparagus bed. I am using this soil to put around the exterior of the beds as they are framed in. We were going to sink the framing into the ground a bit more....but I decided not to as I will be adding lots of compost to the beds as soon as I can find a good source for it.
This is bed #5 which is next to the Strawberry bed. "The Italian" framed out the bed yesterday and I planted 30' feet of English Peas on the right side of the bed. I didn't put up any type of trellis for the peas yet. I am thinking that I will use some bamboo and netting that I have available.
Here is the second Asparagus bed which is in the front of the plots on the right side. "The Italian" framed it out yesterday and it will be planted with Purple Passion Asparagus tomorrow.
Bed #2 was framed yesterday. I planted about 12' of Snow Peas on the right side toward the middle. I also put up some trellis for the peas. To the right of this bed is Bed #1.
Bed #1 was planted on Wednesday and Saturday with Broccoli, Cabbage and some Pak Choi. I wasn't able to finish it on Wednesday as we were hit with some horrible wind and rain in an instant. I will also plant Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower in this bed. I think that it looks like my pot bed right now!
Today I dug up the remaining abandoned strawberries that were in Bed #3 and the pathways. I ended up with two buckets of very old and tuff strawberries. I don't think that they were tended to in years. Hopefully one of the gardeners will want them and will be able to get some good roots from some some of the runners.
All of the raspberries that were at the plots are starting to show some green!
Even the canes that are still in the garbage can are showing some green!
That's it for now!! I will most likely do at least a couple of posts on the plots this week. The weather has finally gotten warmer and I will be over there catching up!!