First I'll talk about freezing greens. I freeze, Kale, Collards, Spinach and even Asian Greens. It's very simple and they store very well in the freezer. The only green that I have noticed doesn't taste well after about 6 - 8 months is spinach. We had one portion of frozen spinach that was in the freezer for awhile and it wasn't very good. I really forget how long it was in there, but I do believe that it was under 1 year.
How to Freeze your Greens:
- Go out in the garden and pick some really nice greens.
- Wash them and then drain them in a colander or you can place them on a towel. I wash mine off, shake them a bit and then place them on a towel.
- Next, I start a big pot of boiling water on the stove
- While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I chop off any woody parts of the stems and then chop the greens a bit. You don't have to chop them. I don't chop the spinach.
- When the water starts to boil, prepare a big bowl or your sink with very cold water & ice.
- Next, you blanch the greens in the boiling water. You will find that the recommended time for greens is about 3 minutes for collards and 2 minutes for other greens. I don't blanch my greens that long. I blanch them about half the recommended time. I know that according to "you know who"....this is a no no. But, that's the way we like them.
- Once the greens are blanched, immediately put them in the cold ice water for a couple of minutes. This stops them from over cooking.
- Remove the greens from the ice water, drain thoroughly and then put them in Freezer Bags or Vacuum Seal them.
That's all there is to freezing greens!!!
Now, How to drink your greens. We have been having some great Kale shakes around here lately. I have to say that they are absolutely delicious!!
How to drink your Greens:
- Go out and pick yourself some nice greens. We have been using Kale. I guess you could use other greens too.....but, Kale is so so good for you
- Get out your avocado green blender from the 1970's
- Chop those greens up, about 2 Cups for one big shake
- Put a little crushed ice in the blender
- Add the greens, 1 Cup of Soy Milk, 1 Organic Banana (or other fruit of choice) and blend!
- That's it....now drink those wonderful nutritious greens.