Friday, December 10, 2010

Making Homemade Mustard Update 1

This is an update on the Making Homemade Mustard post I did last week. After one week, two of the four mustards are ready. The beautiful Coarse Ground Mustard w/ red wine and the coarse ground Yellow Mustard.

The Coarse Ground Mustard w/ red wine is absolutely wonderful tasting a very pretty too! It's a milder mustard with a hint of wine. The mustard was still too thin, so I added mustard powder to it to thicken it up. After adding the powder, the mustard flavor increased a bit. I think that the next time I make it, I will add less liquid in the beginning and cook it a little longer. Then I shouldn't have to add much mustard powder if any.

Double batch yield was 1 quart.

The coarse ground Yellow Mustard is "The Italian's" favorite of these two. This mustard is also a milder tasting mustard. It's a very good yellow mustard, for those who like a basic yellow mustard. The consistency was a little too thick....so, I added a little water to it. I guess I didn't need to add as much mustard powder to it in the beginning.

Double batch yield was 1 quart.

When the mustard is ready, place in sterile jars, cap and refrigerate.

The last two mustards are still too strong. Although, they are incredibly tasty!! I will give them another week in the dark cool basement before I taste them again. I have to say, that I am extremely pleased with the flavor of all of the mustards...............you definitely can't buy this flavor in the store!!

9 comments:

  1. Great job, Robin! I am sure that the other two will be perfect also!
    How long can you keep them in refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the mustard from scratch! It looks delicious! I'm a mustard lover, so I will definitely have to try making some from scratch. Looks very pretty in those jars, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for the inspiration. Now I know what I'll be reading up on this weekend. I would love to make my own mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! We'll definitely be thinking about doing this next year for Christmas presents. I like your labels. Where did you get them? Do you run them through your printer? Very classy.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. MojVrt, I have read that you can keep mustard in the refrigerator for up to two years. The flavor will change if you don't refrigerate it after it has reached the flavor you desire.

    VP, it has been very interesting making the mustard. I just love mustard....now I will probably only like homemade mustard!

    Thomas, I'm happy that this inspired you...it's really good!

    Lori, Thanks...I have never put labels on my canned goods before. The other night I decided to make labels. I was up until after midnight making them for everything! I made them on Word and used a regular ink-jet printer. I definitely learned a lot making them. If I get the time, I will do a post on making them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife is very excited to try making some of these mustards and we hope to do so soon. I really like how you labeled them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous! My boyfriend and I are very excited about the prospect of making our own mustard now. We have a lot of preserves, pickles, and hot sauces, but we've never tried making mustard before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I have some serious catching up to do on your blog....this is looking like some good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about making mustard for some time now. I think I will go ahead and order the mustard now that I've gone over the edge after looking at yours! :)

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!