I will be out of town next week for a few days. So, Jody & Belle at Spring Garden Acre will host Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard next week.
Now on to some good eating from our stored goods! Last week Kristen at Rusty Moon Homestead posted a great recipe for Black Bean Soup. In her post she linked to where she found the recipe, here.
Black Bean Soup
- 2 Cups Black Beans - I used Cherokee Trail of Tears Beans from the garden
- 1 Small Onion, Sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Quarts Cold Water
- 2 Stalks Celery, Diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Flour - I didn't need to use any flour
- 3/4 tsp. Salt - I didn't use any salt
- 1/8 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Mustard - I used some homemade mustard and put in about 1/2 tsp.
- Dash of Cayenne - I used about a 1/4 tsp.
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice - I didn't use this much
- Hard Boiled Eggs or Egg
- 1 Lemon, thinly sliced - We didn't use any sliced lemon
- Wash beans and soak overnight.
- Saute Onion in 1 1/2 Tbsp. Butter
- Drain Beans, add cold water, onion & celery. Simmer until beans are tender, adding water if needed
- Then I pureed the soup with an Immersion Blender.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp of Butter, flour (if needed) and seasonings and bring back to a boil
- I let the soup simmer for about another 30-45 minutes
- The soup can be served with a garnish of Sliced Hard Boiled Egg and Lemon